Gay Marriage California, Same-Sex Marriage

Gay mariage in California is now legal and available to those wishing to have a same-sex wedding.

On June 26, 2013 The Supreme Court of the United States upheld the decision of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals that struck down Proposition 8 which banned same-sex marriage in California. This decision was challenged for many years in courts, but the Supreme Court decision now allows gay marriage in California. This is a big victory for LGBT weddings. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals lifted the stay on the ban on LGBT weddings the next day and the Governor of California ordered that California counties act immediately to begin the issuing of marriage licenses for samesex weddings.

Those couples who would like a gay wedding, or any wedding for that matter, must first obtain a marriage license before they can have their wedding ceremony. A marriage license can be obtained from the Los Angeles County Clerk's office, which is currently overloaded. Both partners must appear together. Expect a long wait and it is recommended that you make sure to allow up to 4 hours for parking, waiting in line, the process of filling out the paperwork and then waiting for the marriage license to be authorized.

Or you can simply have a specialized notary and wedding officiant issue your marriage license and deliver it to you. The process would take about 15 minutes of your time, plus the filling out of the information that is required, which is usually another 10 minutes for most couples.

Thus, all couples of any gender who otherwise satisfy the requirements to qualify for marriage may acquire a California marriage license and can be married in the state of California.

The revised marriage license now identifies the separate individuals who will be married as "Party A" and "Party B" in place of the previous "Groom" and "Bride" identification. At this time gay weddings are considered legal in California. The marriage license can be issued by a specialized notary anywhere within Los Angeles County or it can be obtained by waiting in line at the Los Angeles County Clerk Recorder.

Parties who have entered into a State Register Domestic Partnership must provide proof of termination, if the termination occurred within the last two years or less. If the termination was more than two years, written proof may not be required, but the date of the termination must be provided at the same time the license is requested.

Parties marrying the same partner, who each entered into a State Register Domestic Partnership must present a copy of the Declaration of Domestic Partnership.

Click on Gay Marriage to find out how to get married in California.

Getting Married in Los Angeles County, California